Saturday, August 18, 2012

Assignment Two

I think that the author's audience, is the type who are into past and present political issues and who are just wanting to hear nice stories, about assassinated presidents.

I think the authors subject, is to make the interested past and present political issued people, join her side-if they are not already. On how past assassinated presidents had "sickened" the world- Lincoln, because when he died, America lost an incredible leader, the one who led slavery to be abolished in America-and how it "healed" the world William McKinley in how he united South America and North America, with the "Pan-American Exposition". And how past problems can become present ones: 'When I told my friend that I was writing about the McKinley administration, he turned up his nose and asked', "why the **** would anyon want to read about that?" page.205. "Oh, I don't know," 'I answered'. "Maybe because we seem to be reliving it?" page 207.

Sarah Vowell as a speaker, to me is someone who is strong in what she writes, because of the many facts she puts in. Also the same with her opinions: 'Looking on the long term effects of the McKinley occupation of the former spanish colonies i can't say I'm particularly optimisctic about the coming decades in Iraq. The very facy that we call it the Spanish-American war hints that Cuban revolutionary hero Jose Marti worried, "Once the United States is in Cuba, who will drive them out?" page 207.


No comments:

Post a Comment